Kalb-Baladi

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Bahais

Egyptian legal authorities banned the right of Bahais to state their religion on official documents. The supreme administrative court, which made the ruling, also described Bahais as "pro-Israeli apostates."

I honestly didn't know anything about Bahais and I never met one. So I tried to find out a bit about them:

Bahais believe that people of all religions worship one god, and that their prophet, Bahaullah was one in a succession of prophets including Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad, serving the same god. Their central mission is to bring peace to the world, and unite people of different religions and races. The faith calls for full equality between the sexes, and an end to extremes of wealth and poverty. There are five million Bahais in 188 countries and the faith holds scientific endevour in high regard.

Seems to me like a peaceful religion that cannot be seen as a threat to anyone. They are very unlikely to be engaged in acts of terror or aggression. I think discriminating against them this way is a disgrace.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Dear Zabinzo,

    I'm a German researcher who is working on the current controversy around the Egyptian
    Baha'is' ID cards.

    I am trying to find Egyptian non-Baha'i bloggers who have
    in some way promoted the rights of Baha'isn to carry ID cards with their
    religious affiliation and who would be willing to take part in a
    survey I'm taking.

    I would rather give you more explanation by e-mail than in a public comment on your blog, but could not find a way to contact you directly. If you could send me a brief reply by mail, I would give you the whole sermon. ;-) No, it's not that long, really.

    In any case, I'd greatly appreciate your help and would be extremely grateful if you got in touch with me.

    With all my best wishes

    Johanna

    By Blogger Johanna, At 9:43 AM, January 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home