Kalb-Baladi

Monday, August 28, 2006

Friday Prayers


When I was growing up in Cairo, not everybody used to do the Friday prayer thing. Lately it seems that EVERYBODY does it. A few weeks ago I went out around the Friday prayer time. The little mosque on my street was full and people were spilling out on the sidewalk. It took me 2 minutes to walk past the mosque and to my car during which I heard the Imam cursing Jews Christians and Muslims who dont pray (me). Had I hanged around a bit longer, I would have probably heard the fat fuck cursing the whole world (except ofcoarse the good people who are praying with him). I drove off and could not find a soul on the streets. State Security soldiers were praying, garbage collectors were praying... hardly any cars on the streets. Cairo was not like this a few years ago. Whatever happened to us?

4 Comments:

  • what's wrong with practicing whatever you believe in?

    i mean i in no way support the imam cursing jews or christians but anybody should be able to practise their form of religion as long as it doesn't include slaughtering babies or anything of that sort

    direct your rage at the imam rather than the people.

    the problem is that the streets are blocked as if this is a natural right since they are answering God's call.

    and the bigger problem is the imams, i have failed to listen to a friday prayer speech that has either impressed me or even not bore the hell out of me, where do they get these guys?

    By Blogger KareemFromEgypt, At 7:06 AM, August 29, 2006  

  • good excuse for not working.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:05 PM, August 30, 2006  

  • Gamda!!

    By Blogger MechanicalCrowds, At 12:01 AM, September 09, 2006  

  • Immigrate to Europe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:16 PM, October 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home